The Bubur Cha Cha is aptly named because a spoonful of this will make you want to do the Cha-Cha! One of the more well-known Peranakan dessert and commonly found in Hong Kong-style cafes, Bubur Cha Cha is a coconut milk dessert that is infused with pandan leaves, and contains colourful sweet potato cubes and taro. Great for dessert and supper!
- Difficulty: Medium
- Preparation: 30 min
Cook: 40 min
Clean up: 10 min
- Steps: 4 steps
Ingredients- Bubur Cha Cha (Serves 8-10 people
- 500g orange sweet potato
- (peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes)
- 400g yam
(peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes)
- 40g sago
(boiled and soak in cold water)
- Tapioca Jelly:
200 g tapioca flour
- 150 ml hot boiling water
- red colouring
- coconut soup :
600 ml coconut cream
- 1.1L water
- 10 pandan leaves
(washed and tie into knot)
- green colouring
1. Steam sweet potatoes
Place the sweet potatoes and yam on a steaming plate and steam it for 20 min, or until soft.
(Place the sweet potatoes in ice water to prevent them from turning black, if you are not planning to cook them right away.)
2. Make tapioca jelly
- In a bowl of tapioca flour, slowly add boiling water to it, using a chopstick to stir until it becomes lumpy.
- Once cool, knead the mixture until it forms a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions.
- Add 2-3 drops of red, green colouring to the 2 portions of dough respectively.
- Knead the 2 sets of dough until the colour is uniformly incorporated.
- Put some tapioca flour on a board and a knife
- Roll the dough into a long strip, the cut it into 1cm lengths.
- Sprinkle some tapioca flour over the cut pieces to prevent them from sticking to one another.
3. Boil tapioca jelly
- Boil a separate pot of water,put the tapioca dough cubes to boiling wateruntil the tapioca cubes float up or turn transparent.
- Remove from boiling water and transfer into a bowl of water to soak.
- Set aside for later use.
4. Boil coconut soup
- In a big pot, add water, sugar, pandan leaves and bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves.Adjust the sweetness according to taste.
- Remove and discard pandan leaves.
- Lower the heat and add in the coconut cream, salt. Let it simmer. Do not let it boil till it bubbles vigorously and do not cover the pot.
- Add in the steamed taro, sweet potatoes, sago, tapioca jellies.
- Allow burbur cha cha to simmer for 5 minutes or until the desired texture is reached.
- Then turn off the heat